Riot Games today unveiled plans for the Season 3 World Championship, the premier event for League of Legends professional esports on a global stage. Beginning 16 September, the best teams from each region around the world will descend on Southern California for a month of intense action, including semi-finals held at the Galen Center, the site of last year’s final. Once the dust settles, competitors will head downtown for the World Championship at the prestigious home of pro sports in Los Angeles – the Staples Center.
Taking place Friday, 4 October, the World Championship will be the pinnacle of pro League of Legends play this year, with the sport’s preeminent athletes battling in front of more than 10,000 live fans, plus millions more online. The winning team will be crowned the Season 3 world champion, walking away with the Summoner’s Cup and $1 million in cash. Tickets go on sale soon at lolesports.com and other associated ticketing outlets.
The road to the finals will not be easy. In the coming weeks, professional teams in each region will play in qualifier events around the world. The top 14 teams from North America, Korea, China, Southeast Asia, Europe, and an international wild-card will then head to Southern California for the World Playoffs. After a group stage and two critical single-elimination rounds, the two remaining teams advance to the Staples Center for an epic showdown.
League of Legends World Championship facts:
- Every match counts: Top teams from around the world will compete during qualifying events throughout the summer, with regional dominance and a trip to Los Angeles on the line
- Eyes of the world on LA: With thousands of seats filled and millions of fans watching from home, the World Championship closes out a historic season for professional esports
- Millions of dollars on the line: October’s $2 million prize pool rounds out the Season 3 total to more than $8 million across the globe
- Viewership during the inaugural League of Legends All-Star event peaked at over 18 million unique viewers
- Fans around the world casting more than 50 million votes to determine the event’s star players.
Thank you www.lolesports.com for providing us with this information.
Image courtesy of Competitive Gamer.