QNAP started the beta version of their QTS 4.2 operating system a little while ago and it was very successful as well as received with positive feedback from users all around. Now the official version of QNAP’s QTS 4.2 has been released and I can say first hand, it is great. QTS 4.2 doesn’t just feature a refreshed user interface with a flat design, frameless media viewer and a general better browsing experience, it also comes with a row of new features and improvements.
A refined multimedia experience is provided thanks to the multi-zone multimedia controls that allow users to centrally manage media via various streaming protocols and services. The Photo Station got a major UI overhaul too while the HD Station got more useful apps with multilingual and multi-tasking support. The File Station adds remote connections to public cloud services and also shared folders from a remote NAS. myQNAPcloud provides a new dashboard for users to centrally manage multiple NAS with stronger security mechanisms such as myQNAPcloud ID control and SSL certificates.
The Storage Manager adds a snapshot tool for volume/LUN backup and restoration. Several enhancements are included to improve business efficiency and performance such as SSD cache acceleration, QJBOD (JBOD enclosure roaming), cloud sync support for Google Drive and Dropbox. QTS 4.2 also introduces an industry-leading hybrid virtualization solution allowing users to run complete OS VMs with Virtualization Station and lightweight virtualization with Container Station that supports both LXC and Docker. Fewer restrictions and more options are both things we all appreciate. QNAP also added several security mechanisms to ensure data security, including 2-step verification, shared folder encryption, instant notifications to mobile devices, and VPN server with L2TP/IPsec support.
As a storage reviewed it also happens that I’m currently reviewing a QNAP NAS and had the chance to try the new QTS 4.2 myself in its final version, and it is great. It will take you about 2 minutes to get used to the new look after which you’ll love it.
Compatible QNAP models:
- 24-bay: SS-EC2479U-SAS-RP, TS-EC2480U-RP, TVS-EC2480U-SAS-RP
- 18-bay: SS-EC1879U-SAS-RP
- 16-bay: TVS-EC1680U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1680U-RP, TS-EC1679U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1679U-RP, TS-1679U-RP
- 15-bay: TVS-EC1580MU-SAS-RP
- 12-bay: SS-EC1279U-SAS-RP, TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP, TVS-1271U-RP, TS-EC1280U-RP, TS-EC1279U-SAS-RP, TS-EC1279U-RP, TS-1279U-RP, TS-1270U-RP, TS-1269U-RP, TS-1253U-RP, TS-1253U, TS-1263U-RP, TS-1263U
- 10-bay: TS-1079 Pro, TVS-EC1080+, TVS-EC1080, TS-EC1080 Pro
- 8-bay: TVS-EC880, TVS-871U-RP, TVS-871, TVS-870, TVS-863+, TVS-863, TS-EC880U-RP, TS-EC880 Pro, TS-EC879U-RP, TS-879U-RP, TS-879 Pro, TS-870U-RP, TS-870 Pro, TS-870, TS-869U-RP, TS-869L, TS-869 Pro, TS-859U-RP+, TS-859U-RP, TS-859 Pro+, TS-859 Pro, TS-853U-RP, TS-853U, TS-853S Pro, TS-853 Pro, TS-851, SS-839 Pro, TVS-871T, TS-863U-RP, TS-863U
- 6-bay: TVS-671, TVS-670, TVS-663, TS-670 Pro, TS-670, TS-669L, TS-669 Pro, TS-659 Pro+, TS-659 Pro II, TS-659 Pro, TS-653 Pro, TS-651, TS-639 Pro
- 5-bay: TS-569L, TS-569 Pro, TS-563, TS-559 Pro+, TS-559 Pro II, TS-559 Pro
- 4-bay: TVS-471U-RP, TVS-471U, TVS-471, TVS-470, TVS-463, TS-470U-SP, TS-470U-RP, TS-470 Pro, TS-470, TS-469U-SP, TS-469U-RP, TS-469L, TS-469 Pro, TS-459U-RP+/SP+, TS-459U-RP/SP, TS-459 Pro+, TS-459 Pro II, TS-459 Pro, TS-453U-RP, TS-453U, TS-453S Pro, TS-453mini, TS-453 Pro, TS-451U, TS-451S, TS-451, TS-439U-RP/SP, TS-439 Pro II+, TS-439 Pro II, TS-439 Pro, TS-431U, TS-431+, TS-431, TS-421U, TS-421, TS-420U, TS-420-D, TS-420, TS-419U+, TS-419U II, TS-419U, TS-419P+, TS-419P II, TS-419P, TS-412U, TS-412, TS-410U, TS-410, SS-439 Pro, IS-400 Pro, TS-463U-RP, TS-463U
- 2-bay: TS-269L, TS-269H, TS-269 Pro, TS-259 Pro+, TS-259 Pro, TS-253 Pro, TS-251C, TS-251, TS-239H, TS-239 Pro II+, TS-239 Pro II, TS-239 Pro, TS-231+, TS-231, TS-221, TS-220, TS-219P+, TS-219P II, TS-219P, TS-219, TS-212P, TS-212-E, TS-212, TS-210, HS-251, HS-210
- 1-bay: TS-131, TS-121, TS-120, TS-119P+, TS-119P II, TS-119, TS-112P, TS-112, TS-110