ICY DOCK is well-known for their drive enclosures and they’re always amazing. I’ve owned quite a few of them over the years and they’ve never let me down. Their newest device is an external drive enclosure and it looks to be no different as the MB561U3S-4SB 4-Bay external 2.5″ & 3.5″ HDD enclosure with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 and eSATA interface seems to have it all.
The new MB561U3S-4SB features both a USB 3.0 5Gbps and an eSATA 6Gbps interface, allowing you to choose which connection you prefer. The eSATA port will need to be connected to a controller that supports port multipliers, but there aren’t many that don’t these days. It also looks great with its solid aluminium structure and great looking drive trays. And while we’re speaking of drive trays, the new EZ-Tray design used in this unit is interchangeable with a lot of other ICY DOCK units, both internal and external, and effectively allows you to move the same tray with disk from unit to unit.
Keeping four mechanical hard drives cooled in an enclosure like this requires the help of a fan. ICY DOCK utilized an 80mm fan that’s connected to the fan controller on the rear. It has three settings, low, high, and automatic where it sets the rotation speed depending on the ambient temperature inside the enclosure. Using current 6TB drives and you can have up to 24GB of raw data in this small and great looking unit, not bad.
When ICY DOCK creates a unit like this, they always add something special. In this case it is the external mounted and detachable fan. This allows you to easily remove the turbine looking fan module and clean everything in a proper fashion.
- Plug and play installation, no drivers required
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with up to 5Gbps transfer speed
- Backward compatible with USB 2.0 interface
- eSATA connection with up to 6 Gbps transfer speed (port-multiplier required)
- New EZ-Tray system supporting both 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA HDD/SSD of all heights
- Adjustable cooling fan with 3 speed settings (low, high, and auto)
- Support largest capacity drives available on the market (6 TB)
- Removable EZ-Tray design allows you to quickly swap out drives
- Moderately illuminating white LED for power & drive activities
- High grade aluminum alloy frame with detailed matte finish
- Include 4x EZ-Trays which features shock absorbing technology to help protect your drives
- Detachable 80mm ball bearing rear cooling fan provides easy maintenance
- Integrated power supply, so big power bricks aren’t necessary
- Rubber padded soles for enhanced stability
- 3-year warranty
Thanks to ICY DOCK for providing us with this information.