D-Link announced the availability of the newest member in the Ultra-series Wi-Fi routers, the D-Link DIR-885L/R AC3150 UItra Wi-Fi Router. The new router follows the same design as the rest of routers in the ultra-series and it looks really sweet if you ask me.
It isn’t just the optics of the DIR-885 that’s different, so is its performance and capabilities. The DIR-885 is a 4×4 multiple-user multiple-input and multiple-output (MU-MIMO) router that delivers up to 1000Mbps on the legacy 2.4GHz band and up to 2165 Mbps on the newer 5GHz band for a total of 3165 Mbps wireless performance. The router is naturally also equipped with WAN and LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports as well as USB ports for file and printer sharing.
Beam forming technology further helps with the range and throughput when connected to the DIR-885 whereas the SmartConnect technology automatically allocates the best possible band for optimal Wi-Fi performance when a device connects. An intelligent QoS was also added for traffic optimization.
The DIR-885 is built around a 1.4GHz dual-core processor which is quite a bit more than we usually see. Most routers is a CPU clocked around 1GHz.
Naturally the DIR-885 comes with the same great features as other D-Link routers such as parental controls, basic firewall functions, scheduling, and much more including D-Link’s SharePort technology for even more usage out of your USB connected devices.
- 11AC Wi-Fi Dual Band Connectivity – Speeds up to 2167 Mbps on the 5GHz band and 1000Mbps on the 2.4GHz band for maximum throughput with less Wi-Fi interference
- 4×4 Data Streams – Supports four data streams for increased throughput
- 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor – Faster network speed for a more powerful router
- MU-MIMO Ready – High-bandwidth Wi-Fi signal to multiple devices at the same time
- SmartConnect – Allocates the best possible band for optimal Wi-Fi performance
- High Power Antennas – provide wider coverage throughout your home
- Intelligent QoS – Traffic optimization delivers seamless performance for your applications
- USB 3.0 Port – Speeds up to 10x faster than USB 2.0
The AC3150 Ultra Wi-Fi Router (DIR-885L/R) is available now for a suggested retail price of $279.99. Not a cheap price, but this isn’t an ordinary router either.