It has been quite a long time coming but finally ASUS has released its Maximus VI Formula Z87 motherboard for Intel’s new Z87 Haswell platform. At first glance the Maximus VI Formula is a radical overhaul of the typical ROG design with a hybrid thermal armour implementation. The “CrossChill” hybrid air and water cooling features allows end users to pick between water or air cooling for their system. You can see the water cooling ports on the motherboard heatsink, for G quarter inch fittings, to help cool the VRM and MOSFETs while the the wraparound ROG armour helps keep it cool. The ABS plastic helps prevent other components from touching and interfering with the motherboard while the rear of the motherboard has thermal pads for improved cooling and a frame for better rigidity.
Furthermore ASUS are really pushing a higher level of audio quality with their SupremeFX Formula onboard audio implementation that has a dedicated 600 Ohm headphone amplifier. Additionally there are ELNA audio capacitors, WIMA film capacitors, high-fidelity op-amps and a Cirrus logic CS4398 DAC with a 120dB sound to noise ratio. ASUS also provide a dual band 802.11ac WiFi networking card.
The CPU is powered by the Extreme Engine DIGi+ III technology and as well high quality components like NexFET MOSFETs, 60A BlackWing chokes and Japanese 10K black metallic capacitors.
- Chipset Intel Z87 Express
- Memory Dual-channel DDR3 (32 GB max), 3100 MHz (OC)
- Power delivery Extreme Engine DIGI+ III (8+2 phase) with NexFET MOSFETs, 60A BlackWing chokes, 10K black metallic solid-state capacitors
- Expansion slots 3 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 (single @ x16, dual @ x8), Three-way CrossFireX @ x8/x4/x4 (native from CPU), 3 x PCI Express 2.0 x1
- Multi-GPU support NVIDIA SLI / AMD 3-way CrossFireX
- Video outputs DisplayPort/HDMI (up to 4K x 2K Ultra HD)
- Ports 10 x SATA 6 Gbit/s, 8 x USB 3.0, 8x USB 2.0
- Networking Intel Ethernet with ROG GameFirst II technology, mPCIe Combo II with dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.0
- Audio SupremeFX Formula, DTS Connect
- Other Sonic Radar V, ASUS OC Panel (optional)
- Form factor ATX
Images courtesy of ASUS